Tomato Jos is a private equity-backed, fast-growing, for-profit, social enterprise located in Kaduna, Nigeria, that believes in the power of local production for local consumption. Our company aims to supply 10% of the processed tomato market in Nigeria within the next 5 years. We source tomatoes from smallholder farmers within our network and make high-quality branded consumer products for Nigeria and West Africa. We currently operate a 500Ha commercial farm and run a successful smallholder program with over 500 farmers. In 2020, the company built a tomato processing facility and we will conduct our first production run in Q1/Q2 2021, to launch our first retail packaged product later this year.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Position: Agronomist
Job Location: Kaduna
Mission and Long-Term Goal
- Using scientific, mathematical, and engineering principles to proffer solutions to agronomy problems and improve processes.
- Experiments and plan studies to improve crop yields.
- Study, assess, and evaluate soil chemistry and soil testing check for EC and pH values, microbes, soil constituents, and the nutrients level.
- Design a seasonal work schedule base on fertilizer regimen, chemical regimen, and general cultural practices for field representatives.
- Educate team on best practices and ensure standards are maintained on providing professional, best-in-class service to member farmers and monitor compliance
- Collection of Weather data and reporting
- Develop innovative research-based techniques in agronomist functions and programs.
- Scout fields and make agronomic decisions that are best for the crop and the company.
- Collect and maintain an extensive database of all trials
- Contribute to project M&E activities, including designing of monitoring tools, regular fieldwork to collect monitoring data, and preparation of monitoring reports
Minimum Qualifications and Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree in Agronomy, Agricultural Sciences, Crop Production, Plant Biology. A Master's Degree is an added advantage
- Experience quantitative and qualitative data and data analysis
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English;
- Strong organizational and planning skills;
- Experience in writing reports and communicating scientific topics to laypeople;
- Willingness and ability to work under tight timelines, and flexibility to engage in multiple projects;
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision;
- Experience and ability to work in multicultural settings;
- Additional Qualifications and Experience That Will Set You Apart
- Excellent knowledge of GAP and delivery systems in rural areas.
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to develop and maintain relationships with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Proficiency computer knowledge, as well as strong Microsoft Excel & Microsoft Word capabilities, will have an advantage.
- Fluency in Hausa
Expected Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies:
- Strong interpersonal and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Stamina to work round the clock during peak farming periods
- Curiosity, critical thinking, and a demonstrated interest to learn,
- Demonstrated behavior of professional and personal ethics, transparency, and openness.
- Willingness to undertake regular field visits and interact with different stakeholders, especially with primary stakeholders.
- Strong management, coaching, and conflict-resolution skills
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to stick to the schedule.